Game of the Week Blog Reflection: Fiasco Week 3

This week was the final week we played Fiasco. During this session we were able to set up the tilt and complete the story. I was surprised to find my character coming out the best. Everyone else went to jail or worse due to my characters actions. My character was able to get away with murder but that doesn’t mean she didn’t feel guity about it. The murder was pinned onto two other characters in the session, causing them to pay my characters price for her crime. My character ended up regretting everything that she did to the others, and even did try to turn herself in. However, due to the police in our session being corrupt, they didn’t believe her and chose to continue on with what they believed as correct.

I think the hardest part of this week was setting up the tilt. At first, my group didn’t know where to go with the tilt. We also had to refresh the rules on how the tilt was played out, due to how long it had been since we all watched the how-to videos. There was a lot of time we spent on trying to decide where we wanted the story to proceed. 

The game Fiasco is a cooperation game, but you are also trying to compete with the others. We all are writing a story and acting out what our characters would do. We all need to be able to give and take to move the story and the game along. Everyone has a role to be played. It takes leadership to direct the story. You have to either direct the story in the direction you want it to be, or follow someone else’s ideas in the story. Everyone has a give and take in this game. However, everyone is still trying to make it so that their character’s goals are achieved. In our session, everyone could state that they lost the game, but how much everyone lost was different. 

I still believe that my friends who are into Dungeons and Dragons would enjoy playing Fiasco. They all enjoy making characters and acting as their characters. They also all have chaotic tendencies. Maybe the next time we all start planning a new Dungeons and Dragons campaign, I could instead suggest we all play Fiasco.