GOTW: Voices in my Head

I enjoyed Voices in my Head a lot, but this may be because it wasn’t the most complex game for me. During the game, I was able to immediately take control of the planning section, and it wasn’t taken away from me, so I was able to pick up a strategy card every round. Because of this, I knew what every influence token on the board was, and therefore knew which way the jurors were leaning. I also got fairly lucky when controlling different parts of Guy’s brain in that I almost always got to do something with the innocent/guilty tokens or the influence tokens at the end of the round.

However, I think the hardest part of this game was not knowing exactly what everyone wanted to do, even when I knew how the game was playing out. This showed specifically in the very last round of our game where a guilty token was placed on one of the jurors and instead of completely winning the game I tied with another person. I think this ties into leadership really well because even if you know everything that is going on, one person could do something that goes against your goals and completely change what is happening. Likewise, during the game, I had the selfish role and therefore was completely alone in wanting the jury to vote more innocent than guilty. This is what leadership can feel like, everyone else may want to achieve a certain goal or do something completely different than what they are meant to be doing, and you are left alone to try to achieve your goal.

In the end, I really enjoyed this game, possibly because I enjoy social deduction games, but I’m not sure if I would’ve enjoyed it as much if I didn’t know what way each juror was voting the whole time. I think that element of not knowing is a bit scary and the idea that someone else could be doing things to the game that would make you lose, without you knowing, could make you feel helpless. I think this game would be more fun with more people playing, because it would allow for all sides, those wanting a guilty decision and those wanting an innocent decision, to have more people working together to achieve their goal.