Pandemic/Forbidden Island

For our second in-class session, we focused our time around two specific games, Pandemic and Forbidden Island. Before we came to class we were instructed to read and view the video instructions so that we could dive right into playing the games as soon as class started. Now, before I looked at the directions, I assumed that they would be easy to understand. However, when I looked over the game rule book and the videos I was collectively confused and concerned whether I would ever understand how to play any of these games.

When it came time for class, the first game I decided to start playing was forbidden island. Out of the two games, the instructions for forbidden island were a little less daunting to me. I was joined by three of my fellow classmates who were also unfamiliar and confused by the game as well. After taking 15min to try and figure out how to play the game, we started off slowly but surely on our way to an amusing time. What I found to be most challenging for this game was the fact that neither myself nor my other classmates knew how to play the game, so collectively we found it a bit frustrating and confusing to play the game the right way.

Even though we were all new to the game we powered through it by encouraging one another and sharing the leadership within the group. when we were unsure about how to proceed one member would speak up and reiterate the rules of the game and give us the confidence we needed to complete the game.

When looking back at our gameplay in a leadership aspect, I would tie it back to encouraging the heart from the student leadership challenge. I feel that throughout my team’s game session we really tried our best to encourage one another to get through the game and surprisingly ended up winning the first round we played.

Overall, I enjoyed playing forbidden island and wouldn’t be opposed to playing it again. I think the game allowed me to build self-confidence and helped me understand that in times of uncertainty it is important to always keep a sense of encouragement in order to make it through difficult times.