Week 1 (Roll Player)

To begin this class we started with the game Roll Player. As someone who has never played a character creation game, I quickly realized how it tied to leadership. In order for someone to be a successful leader, one must know what traits a successful leader has and then embody them. Creating a character gives the opportunity to create someone who embodies the traits we aspire to have.

My particular session of playing with my classmates was very enjoyable. We kept our Zoom call on so that we could participate in discussion while we played and anyone could ask any questions throughout. It was nice to get a chance to talk to people outside of my typical classes, as I am an accounting major and don’t know a single person in the class. My only complaints are while Tabletopia is very user friendly software, the speed of the game was definitely slower than it would be as an in-person class. I also had more trouble visualizing my next moves as I am very much a physical learner.

Overall, I really enjoyed playing this game. It was unlike any game I have ever played before. I think the hardest part about it was definitely thinking ahead and planning what strategy to take in order to have the most points in the end. There are many different directions one can take in order to score the most points. I want to introduce this game to my boyfriend, Daniel, as I think he would really enjoy it. He is also an accountant and has a very numbers based mind and typically enjoys playing games that involve strategy. Definitely a great first week of class!

1 thought on “Week 1 (Roll Player)

1. mcgregce

I’m very excited to be in this class because I’ve always loved playing board games and card games ever since I was a kid. In fact I still get together with friends during breaks to play games like Monopoly, Risk, and Clue. After seeing our professor’s one of many game shelves in his house and looking through Tabletopia for the first time, I realized I don’t know as many games as I thought.

The first class was around the game Roll Player, a game in which I had never even heard of. I had also never played a role playing game before (Clue is the closest game I could imagine). The game was surprisingly very interesting. I didn’t understand all the rules, but I can see how the element of strategy plays a huge role in winning. There’s a lot you can do to build and embody your character to carry him or her to victory.

I know that in-person classes would make the flow of these games much easier. However, I think I am starting to understand how Tabletopia works. It’s fairly user-friendly but gameplay is still at a snails pace. I’m glad I was able to communicate with my classmates to ask questions whenever I was stuck or didn’t know what to do. I’m looking forward to what other games the class has to offer, but as far as the first week, I think overall it was a success (despite the virtual circumstances we are under).