Top 100 Games of All Time (70-61)

Time for my next chunk of favorite games of all time! Next is 70-61.

70. Sheriff of Nottingham
Arcane Wonders
Designer: Sérgio Halaban, André Zatz
Owned: Yes

Why it is on the list:  I’ve got ONE APPLE! Ok…only a handful of people will get that but that was one of the more memorable games of Sheriff I’ve played. Sheriff is a fun bluffing game that will frequently create a lot of good laughs.

Who may like it:  It has a great theme, so if you’re a fan of Robin Hood you may enjoy. Or a fan of bluffing or not bluffing when people think you will. Jennifer, my wife NEVER lies and wins the game.

Sheriff of Nottingham game displayed on boardgamegeek.com

69. Specter Ops
Plaid Hat Games
Designer: Emerson Matsuuchi
Owned: NO

Why it is on the list: As mentioned I enjoy hidden movement games. I mostly only enjoy them if I am hiding. This one adds a traitor mechanic at 5 players which is also fun. It ALSO is part of the Dead of Winter mythos which I enjoy.

Who may like it:  Fans of spy stories, corporate espionage, or larger stories. We still intend to play all of the games in this family in one long play session.

68. Betrayal at House on the Hill
Wizards of the Coast
Designer: Bruce Glassco, Rob Daviau, Bill McQuillan, Mike Selinker, Teeuwynn Woodruff
Owned: YES

Why it is on the list: Who doesn’t love a good haunted house story? While the game isn’t perfect (for example…I practically NEVER get to be the traitor no matter how hard I try) the game is still a ton of fun and a great time. It is part of the class and typically goes over well there.

Who may like it:  Fans of haunted houses, light horror themes and utter chaos…and shoddily written rule sets.

67. Survive! Escape from Atlantis!
Stronghold Games
Designer: Julian Courtland-Smith
Owned: NO

Why it is on the list: Take that games aren’t always fun. This one is always fun. I think it is because it is less serious than other ones…but this is a take that game where no one ever seems to really get upset and everyone just enjoys themselves while playing the game.

Who may like it:  People who like screwing over their friends in a fully unoffensive way you can all laugh about.

A game of Survive! Escape From Atlantis in progress. Image from boardgamegeek.com

66. Say Anything
North Star Games
Designer: Dominic Crapuchettes, Satish Pillalamarri
Owned: Yes

Why it is on the list: No secret: party games are not my jam. I would rather sit and play a deep, intensive strategy game that is miserable and I KNOW I’m gonna lose from turn one (see: #1 on the list when we get there) than a fun, social game where we sit around and laugh 10 out of 10 times. HOWEVER, if I’m GOING to play a party game, my favorite ones are where you get to know the other people. ALSO: this is one that is EASILY modifiable by writing your own question for other purposes. I write my own questions to make this people answering student org questions and it works well.

Who may like it:  This game definitely lends towards more social people who want to get together, laugh, and get to know each other better.

65. Roll Player
Thunderworks Games
Designer: Keith Matejka
Owned: Yes

Why it is on the list: This is a game I want to add to the class. I just have to get the funding to buy enough copies of it. Frequently, one of the most fun things with role playing games is building your character. So this game…all you do (in the base game) is roll-up and build a DnD character. Trying to get your rolls to fit your class, background, etc. And it is done EXTREMELY well.

Who may like it:  Fans of Dungeons & Dragons or other Role Playing Games.

64. Tiny Epic Kingdoms
Gamelyn Games
Designer: Scott Almes
Owned: Yes

Why it is on the list: I mean…it is Tiny AND Epic…and some of those games are great and some are REALLY bad. This is a really fun Tiny Epic area influence game. It follows a lot of the things that are familiar in Tiny Epic games such as, well..following. This one set the ground for future games like Galaxy and Quest and is a fun, simple area influence game.

Who may like it:  Fans of fantasy games and surprisingly deep strategy games.

63. Duelosaur Island
Pandasaurus Games
Designer: Ian Moss
Owned: Yes

Why it is on the list: When we got Dinosaur Island during the second kickstarter our decision to also get Duelosaur was “why not?” We’ve played it and it is a very strong 2 Player game. It feels like a scaled down Dinosaur Island. It definitely is smaller and not as full featured as DI…nor should it be. It is a shorter, excellent 2 Player game.

Who may like it:  Lovers of Jurassic Park or all things dinosaurs and who want a smaller game. For real…Dinosaur Island has a huge footprint-this much less so.

In progress game of Duelosaur Island; image from boardgamegeek.com

62. Hero Realms
White Wizard Games
Designer: Robert Dougherty, Darwin Kastle
Owned: NO

Why it is on the list: The first deck builder I played was Star Realms…in a manner it isn’t meant to be played. (3 player). Star Realms is a very fun game…but the 4 player nature of this game with some other twists makes this a much better deck builder to me. It isn’t by far my FAVORITE deck builder (that’ll be in the top 5…I love deck building) but it is a very solid deck builder.

Who may like it:  Deck building and fantasy fans. Fans of star realms who want to play more than 1v1.

61. Steampunk Rally
Roxley Game Laboratory
Designer: Orin Bishop
Owned: NO

Why it is on the list: What happens if you take some of the greatest inventors or scientists of all time and tell them to create crazy contraptions to compete against each other in a race…but the materials they need will be chosen in a draft? You get Steampunk Rally-an amazing drafting/racing/building game. Just like many building games often the contraptions built are part of the wonders of the game-but this is an excellent, fun, over the top racing game.

Who may like it:  Fans of history and people who can see things from A LOT of different angles. There is a lot of “if I add this I’ll need this and to add this but then I’ll need…” that happens in the game…and it works fantastically.

A machine for racing. Image from boardgamegeek.com

So that is the next 10 games on the list! Hope you’re enjoying this countdown of games!

2 thoughts on “Top 100 Games of All Time (70-61)

1. braggjs Post author

The full game is higher. Worth having both? They are very similar…Dinosaur is much deeper, more strategic, more options…more players. If you want 2P you definitely want Duel. MUCH more streamlined.

I actually don’t own Hero Realms yet so not yet. The thing it and Star Realms share that I like are the factions that, while different in each, are each specific. This faction regains health, this one attacks, etc. Helps with the building/specializing. And triggering off each other. Hero Realms (and this is a minor thing) has a much better life tracker than Star Realms. But also it working well at 2-4 players vs 2 only is great. Also thematically it just feels better to me.

Haven’t played Cthulu Realms and won’t…the Cthulu mythos bores me so you won’t be seeing ANYTHING Cthulu on the list. There WILL be more deck builders to come. Though my LEAST favorite deck builder naturally won’t make an appearance… (Dominion)

2. Chris Beeman

So far so good. most judgement will come when we get higher. I do wonder, do you play hero realms with the coop expansion ever? Also it’s a bit of investment to get the different starting decks for a pretty basic deckbuilder, I know it’s low but what sets it out from star realms, cthulhu realms and other bigger DB’s?

I really wanna try duelosaur Island. Will the full game be higher? is it worth it to have both? Does the bigger game handle 2 ok and this is more streamlined?