How Can I Be an “Exemplary Science Teacher”?

By: Hayley Johnson, Miami University

Related media exemplars

Tweet: Science teachers immersing themselves in local research and use their experiences for future lesson plan ideas. #Amazing!

Video: Tyler’s TEDtalk discusses the importance of not having students read and memorize from science textbooks. Even the simplest, most cost-efficient presentation can help gets the concepts across in a memorable way. This can be useful when an experiment or activity is not always the best instructional method for a lesson.

Some reflections from “Exemplary Science Teachers”

Important terms:

• Experience
  • Participation
  • Discover
  • Curiosity
  • Possibilities
  • Develop
  • Accessibility
  • Integrate
  • Interdependence
  • Stimulate
  • Spontaneous
  • Flexibility
  • Exploration
  • Inquiry

Common approaches among the teachers:

• Focus on problem solving, inquiry, logcal thinking
  • Making connections to real-world aspects and careers
  • Stresses role of science in other disciplines such as math, literature, technology
  • Integrates previous science concepts to show how these ideas can still be prevalent in other aspects of class (and life)
  • Creates activities that allow students to research in their community or in a way that is relatable to their lives

Unique strategies and approaches:

• Development of online teaching model to show interdependence of science/math/language
  • Partnership with private business which includes teachers partnering with engineers
  • “Portable” science lessons to take home and complete with parents
  • Genuinely tell your students that you’re “glad they’re here!”
  • Older and younger students share data to help each other interpret and examine results

Ending thoughts:

There is no “right way” to be an exemplary science teacher.

Personally, my main takeaway is that it is okay to not be strictly bound to the notion of “teaching to the test” and following the exact curriculum step by step. I want to be able to incorporate memorable activities that will allow my students to relate to, question, and discover the world around them.

Thank you for reading!

1. I loved your ideas for giving unique approaches to being an exemplary science teacher! This gives a preservice teacher some ideas for how to be better teachers. The common approaches lets them see ideas that most people will do, but are still effective! The use of a TEDTalk to show more simple ways to present information but making it truly effective!

2. I really liked the way you compared the common approaches to the unique approaches. They seemed to go hand-in-hand, but the unique approaches painted a much more vivid picture in my mind. They seemed like strategies that would really stick with me throughout the years if I were a student in that classroom. Another part I enjoyed was that line in the ending thoughts: “There is no ‘right way’ to be an exemplary teacher.” This is something that is very important to take note of. There aren’t just a few boxes to check off for a teacher to be exemplary. Each classroom is unique, and being able to adapt in that classroom and inspire your students to learn is what being an exemplary teacher is all about.

• Thanks Billy! As I reflect more on where my head was when I was making the blog I realize a lot of the ideas could connect with the margins article. The spontaneous, interactive, and relatable activities or “margins” can help a teacher be more exemplary. As for my ending thoughts I looked back over my ideas and realized that I still didn’t have an exact answer to “what is an exemplary science teacher”, so I had to be honest and say that I didn’t think there was one exact way to be exemplary but it all depends on the approach to teaching and their students learning. Thanks again for the feedback.