Embracing the Budget

School is expensive.

Ideally, we as teachers come in with grand ideas for the experiments and projects we have planned for our students, all involving inquiry and margin-based learning that fosters creativity.  We want students out of the textbook and engaging with the science in front of them, and everything is going according to plan until…

The Budget.

(dun dun dunnnn)

One thing that I’ve realized is that I can come up with as many ideas as I want for my classroom, but if I don’t have the funds to pull it off, I tend to scrap the whole concept.  Especially being a broke college student making plans for demos and lesson plans, the whole concept of a “budget” is touchy for me, and I’ve learned something extremely valuable that will carry on to my career–just because we’re short on funds doesn’t mean we have to teach straight-forward, lecture and textbook based lessons.  We just have to get a little creative, and use the tools set in front of us.

Here are a few I’ve found, for example:

1. Kids Discover Online

https://online.kidsdiscover.com/discover/life-science?utm_source=Pinterest&utm_medium=Ad&utm_campaign=LifeSciencePN&pp=0&epik=0ieM4E_IW39V3

Kids Discover Online is a great, affordable resource for educators and students alike.  It has resources both for science and social studies teachers, but I focused in on the science aspects it offered.  I currently have the free account (again, broke college student), but they have a $4/month option for teachers (very, very cheap) so they can set up classrooms right on the site.  Essentially, they give access to hundreds of science-based articles that students can explore right at their fingertips, over all different subjects of science.  Check out the website above if you’re interested!

2. Labster

https://www.labster.com/

Labster is an affordable resource available for teachers delving into biotechnology or microbiology.  While it’s more expensive than the other resources I found ($29.99/student/year, or $7.99 per lab), the goal of this app is to provide virtual labs for experiments that would be too expensive or dangerous to physically do in the high school classroom.  So yes, the price seems higher than other apps listed, but when you look at what the app is actually offering this cost is extremely cheap and can be great for students studying more advanced biology subjects.

3. Seek by iNaturalist

This app is one of my personal favorites–it’s called the “Shazam for Nature” for an incredible reason!  Simply snap a pic with the app of something you’ve found while exploring, and the app will tell you what type of plant or animal you’re looking at.  This can be great for students to use both while they’re at school and when they’re at home, and they can create collections and try and see as many natural organisms as they can to add to their findings.  It’s like Pokémon Go, but science version.  The best part?  It’s 100% free.

4. PhET Simulations

Image result for phet simulations

Okay, I’m biased–I’m doing my research on these sims, so of course I’m going to include them.  But hey, they’re an incredible resource for science teachers, and here’s why:  PhET simulations are designed to show us what we can’t see.  PhET delves into molecules and interactions that aren’t directly observed in lab, which makes them a great resource to round out teaching at the molecular level for students.  The free sims also have recommended teacher activities (though pro tip from someone researching the effectiveness of those–double check them before you use them!)

5. NASA

https://www.nasa.gov/audience/foreducators/9-12/index.html

Ah, a classic.  Check out the NASA Education website and prepare to be amazed–NASA provides great materials for teachers to use in their classrooms, and who doesn’t love NASA?  (Besides the Flat Earthers, but they don’t count.)  Take the website to the NASA Wavelength, page, where you’ll find access to tons of resources for specific grades, both online and in paper form.  Just look at the above example of a resource from the site–a space weather viewer?  How COOL.  All in all, NASA has loads of information and resources available, and since they care about the future scientists of the world, it’s all available for us to use in our classrooms for free!

These are just some of the resources available for teachers, but if you’re interested in more, check out any of my cohort’s blog posts.  Happy teaching!

-Naomi

About Naomi Patten 13 Articles
Future Science Educator Miami University Class of 2019 Follow me on Twitter @MsPattenScience

4 Comments

1. Naomi,
    You had some great and new interesting ideas that I have never even seen before! The “seek” application that’s similar to a Shazam for nature looks AWESOME (mostly because i’m in field botany right now so that would be super helpful. Good introduction that is relatable for all teachers who try to differentiate with labs, demos, etc. Awesome blog!

2. Naomi,

I love the resources that you provided. There were quite a few that I didn’t even know existed until you showed them. Even the most expensive resources that you provided were still relatively cheap and there might even be a cheaper alternative that we may not know about too well! Great work!

3. Naomi-
    I loved how you connected your research to this blog! PhET simulations are incredible!
    I’m really intrigued by Labster! Do you know if there is a list of labs/descriptions so that you could choose some labs you want to use in the classroom, since it’s only $7.99/lab?

4. Naomi,
    I have been looking for a plant app like the one you included for two years!!! Anytime I’m out hiking I want to be able to find out what flower I’m looking at without carrying around my large key book. I am so glad you included this! Labster also seems awesome! I did an online frog dissection in middle school and remembered how I liked doing a “fake” dissection more than a normal one. I think this would be a great option for teachers who cannot do the real labs due to costs.
    What are some ways you think you will implement these in to your future classroom?