Finding Strength in Your Students

Recently, I took the CliftonStrengths 2.0 test to discover my top 5 strengths. If you’re someone who likes to take personality tests, like me, you would really enjoy this test. It’s super insightful, and I believe my results are spot on!

You can purchase the book with an access code for a decent price on Amazon.

Maybe you have very good intra-personal skills and think you know everything about your strengths. I still recommend this test, because the results give you recommendations on how to best use your skills.

If you’re like me, your intra-personal skills aren’t the best, and this test is certainly worth-while and helps you discover the best way to apply your skills.

Here are my top 5 skills:

1. Harmony– LOOK FOR CONSENSUS. THEY DON’T ENJOY CONFLICT; RATHER, THEY SEEK AREAS OF AGREEMENT
    • Anyone who knows me, knows I hate conflict. Some people thrive in debates. I want to curl up and hide.
    • Before this test, I never considered my conflict-avoidance a strength; I thought it meant I lacked all backbone whatsoever. Harmony means I have a talent for getting people to come to an agreement or compromise.
    • When students are working together, this strength will help me help students come to an agreement that makes all parties involved satisfied.
  2. Achiever– WORK HARD AND POSSESS A GREAT DEAL OF STAMINA. THEY TAKE IMMENSE SATISFACTION IN BEING BUSY AND PRODUCTIVE
    • There is no doubt in my mind this skill describes me perfectly.
    • My peers are often impressed by my initiative and ability to get things done. I usually tell them I hate having unfinished work.
    • I love having things to do, and when I look at my to-do list and it’s empty, at first I’m excited to have free time, but then I find myself looking for something to do.
    • As a teacher, this strength will help me help students set reasonable, achievable goals to help them finish large, long term projects.
  3. Intellection– CHARACTERIZED BY THEIR INTELLECTUAL ACTIVITY. THEY ARE INTROSPECTIVE AND APPRECIATE INTELLECTUAL DISCUSSIONS
    • My mind is always running. I’m not always thinking about science or schoolwork. Sometimes I just think about the world, and about the people I see. My roommate will catch me lost in thought sometimes. She’ll snap her fingers and ask, “Hey! where’d you go?”
    • I’m not someone who is good thinking on the spot. I like to take time for reflection before answering questions asked of me.
    • This skill will help me guide students in developing thinking skills. If I can model my thinking/thought processes to students, then they may be able to solidify their thinking skills.
  4. Learner– HAVE A GREAT DESIRE TO LEARN AND WANT TO CONTINUOUSLY IMPROVE. THE PROCESS OF LEARNING, RATHER THAN THE OUTCOME, EXCITES THEM
    • You will often hear teachers call themselves lifelong learners. For me, that is definitely true.
    • I love learning new things, and it usually doesn’t even matter what topic I’m learning about.
    • Because I love learning, new stuff comes pretty easily to me. I need to be aware of this when working with students who need more time to digest material they learn.
    • This skill will help me as a science teacher, because I will constantly be looking for new information to stay up-to-date on what’s going on in the scientific community. Science is dynamic, and learning never ends.
  5. Discipline– ENJOY ROUTINE AND STRUCTURE. THEIR WORLD IS BEST DESCRIBED BY THE ORDER THEY CREATE
    • This skill yet again describes me perfectly. Planning and organization are my area of expertise.
    • This skill will make planning for the week an easy thing for me in the classroom.
    • The challenge with this skill is having the ability to let go of my lesson plan to allow students to enter into the margins when the opportunity presents itself.

“It’s an extraordinary waste of time to try to be someone you are not.” -Tom Rath, author

The only thing you can expect as a teacher from your students is for them to be themselves.

You can expect nothing more or less than the best version of themselves.

Every student is going to be different. Some with thrive when given independent work, but struggle to find their voice when working on a group project. Others have a great work ethic, but struggle when it comes to communicating their ideas to others.

The only way to get to know your students’ strengths is to get to know them individually, and observe how they work and learn.

Susan Cain has a very powerful TedTalk about the Power of Introverts, and some of her statements really relate to the importance of allowing students to find and use their strengths.

*DISCLAIMER* At the end of this video, Susan Cain advocates for schools and work places to move away from group work. There is merit in working in teams and groups, as teachers, we just need to foster a place where all students can contribute and thrive.

Cooperative Learning is integral in helping students find their strength in their ability to work with others. By having students work in teams, members can recognize each others’ strengths and contributions to the project or activity.

In addition, on the first day of school, having a survey for students to fill out to learn about their learning strategies and the skills they have can help you identify strengths in each student.

1. Meghan,
    I like how you took something that we were doing for ourselves, in order to improve ourselves as teachers into your classroom. I imagine that students will get similar things the we each have out of this experience. When you know your strengths one can become a better version of themselves and thats always a good thing is it not?

• Definitely, Tom!
      After reading your comment, I kind of thought of that quote from Einstein Educators use about “If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.” The best version of self is going to vary according to each individual.