Winter Term is coming to a close, and I don’t know about you, but all the money I saved from my summer job is running low. It was supposed to last until May, but things don’t always go as planned.

Snowy campus scene

Student jobs are a great way to replenish your bank account. And good news – it’s also a time when many offices around campus are hiring!

Balancing your school work and social life is already tough, so adding a job to the mixture can get messy. On-campus employers often understand and are willing to work around your schedule. Your best bet is the Student Employment website for finding on-campus job opportunities. To help you find which position is right for you, we created a list of the top jobs for each type of student. 

The Workaholic

Hours, hours, hours. You have a lot of time on your hands and want to fill that time with something that will put money in your pocket. A job in Dining Service is the perfect place for someone like you! Dining locations are constantly busy with people flowing in-and-out. There is never a dull moment and they seem to always be hiring. This is a great position if you’d like to work 10-20 hours a week.

The Athlete

Health and fitness are important aspects of your life. If your friends are looking for you and you’re not in class, you’re probably at the gym. Since you’re already there so often, you might as well get paid to be there. Miami hires students for all gym locations on North, West, and South campus. There are typically positions available to work at the front desk, store, climbing wall, or even more skilled positions teaching fitness lessons or lifeguarding – and more. Check out options at the Rec’s employment page.

Person speed walking in exercise attire

The Researcher

Each semester, professors hire students to help them with their research. There is an abundance of opportunities like this in areas of chemistry, bio-med, social work, and more! If you are passionate about learning, these are phenomenal opportunities to earn money while pursuing something you love. And they’re great for the resume, too!

The Creative

You’re bound by no limits and the thought of spending your whole life working in a cubicle is terrifying. A great position for you is in PR and Marketing. Miami is always looking for student assistants to help in different areas such as video recording, design, and communication – and SO MANY offices hire students to work in social media! I work in a social media position on campus and love it! It feels like I am making a meaningful impact on students’ lives every day of work. In addition, these positions are a great resume enhancer for when applying to summer internships.

Off-campus Options

On-campus positions provide great learning opportunities in a flexible environment. However, the job openings don’t stop here. There are so many other places to work uptown too! These positions may offer higher wages and longer hours. During semesters when I had more free time in the evenings and weekends, I always found my off-campus job to be more harmonious with my schedule.

The Foodie

If you love food as much as I do, working in a restaurant is the perfect place for you. Places like Chipotle and SoHi offer employees a free meal after each shift on top of the hourly wage. It is important to keep in mind these positions are high involvement and there are rarely dull moments. If you like being on your feet and keeping busy, uptown restaurants are a great option!

Man holding a large sub sandwich and smelling it, delighted

The Shopping Addict

I’ve been told that the best way to get sick of something is by doing it repeatedly. Why not test this theory by working in a boutique uptown? And hey, if the theory is wrong, at least you’ll get a discount on what you buy.

Final Thoughts

Finding a student employment opportunity can not only boost your bank account, but it can be a great way to make new friends! I will be the first to tell you how important my jobs have been to my college experience.

However, before you make the decision to apply for something – remember the reason you came to Miami. At the end of the day, you’re here to get an education, so if you begin feeling overwhelmed by the commitment, have an honest conversation with your manager about cutting back on hours. Good luck this semester!