Chloe Miller, leaning out of a red car

Hi! My name is Chloe Miller and I am a junior from Carlisle, Ohio majoring in strategic communications and minoring in digital marketing. I love being involved on campus, so my days are usually jam-packed with things to do. This is what a regular Monday in my life looks like.

9:30 a.m. – This is usually the time that I wake up. I’ve gotten lucky this year that none of my classes start before 11:40, so I don’t even have to set an alarm. I try to avoid technology when I first wake up, so I start my morning with a chapter of whatever book I’m reading at the time. Today, it was Jennette McCurdy’s new book! Once I finish my chapter, I give myself some time on my phone to respond to texts, check social media, and make a daily to-do list in my notes app.

10:45 a.m. – I start to get ready around 10:30. I take a long time to get ready in the morning, so I start well before I have to leave for class. If my roommate is up at this time we usually watch a little bit of a show together or catch each other up on our plans for the day.

A mac desktop with video editing software being used by a person who is out of frame.

11:20 a.m. – It’s time to leave for class! I am not a breakfast person, so I usually just throw a granola bar in my bag and leave from there. My first class is a film production class in Williams Hall which is about a 10 minute walk from my house uptown. My friends say it’s embarrassing to get to class early, but I prefer it that way. I like to get settled in my seat and have a few minutes to get all of my things straight for class so I can be prepared.

11:40 a.m. – Class time! This class was super interesting this semester because we got to create our own short film with a group. Our film is about what danger feels like to a college woman. During this class, my group spends our time in the editing suites polishing up our film. We are almost done with it! This class has a final film festival where we will present it, and I can’t wait to showcase our work!

1 p.m. – Class is over, and I would usually be heading to my public speech class, but today it’s canceled because the instructor is sick! It’s a rare occurrence, but having classes be canceled last minute is a nice little surprise. I always prefer to get ahead on work, so now I have plenty of time to work on homework before my next commitment. Since I’m done on campus for a while, I can head home!

1:15 p.m. – I stop to treat myself with lunch at my favorite restaurant uptown – the Red Brick Cafe. I love building my own poke bowl with mango, carrots, and all sorts of other yummy things. I usually like to take it home and eat while watching a show or a movie with my roommate.

1:30 p.m. – Now that I’m home, I sit on the couch with my roommate Nicole and we watch some New Girl and eat lunch. We watch New Girl when we don’t know what to watch, so since we are between shows right now this is our choice. My roommate’s classes are later in the day on Mondays, so we always get to spend a lot of time together on those days, which I love!

2 p.m. – When I finish eating, I start working on some homework. This semester I have had a pretty light workload for my classes, so I usually try to stay at least one day ahead on work so I am not doing anything too last minute. Today, all I had to do was respond to a discussion post and work on a few graphs for my IMS class. When I’m done with my school work, I catch up on work for my campus job and for my student organizations. This semester I have been on the VS PINK campus team as the social media manager, so I had a few graphics to make today for a movie night event we have coming up. I also spent some time editing TikTok videos for my job on campus as a social media associate for Student Life. 

5 p.m. – I finally finish all of my work, so I make myself some dinner before my next meeting. I am not a great cook, but today I make a stir fry bowl with rice, veggies, ground beef, and yum yum sauce. This has been my favorite quick meal to make! My roommate left for class so I usually eat my dinner and either continue working or watch another show. Since I was way ahead on work, I opted for the show option. This time it was Gossip Girl.

6 p.m. – Now I have to get ready for my next meeting, which is at the Armstong Student Center. I am in MAP (we plan all kinds of fun social events on campus) and we have a meeting every Monday night. This is always my favorite part of the week! 

6:30 p.m. – It’s time to head to Armstrong for my meeting! This is another 15 minute walk from my house. I run into my friend Rachel from MAP on the walk there, so we catch up and talk about our weekends on the way.

Chloe with another MAP member in front of a white board that states "Welcome to MAP"

7 p.m. – The MAP meeting starts here! I love catching up with my friends in the organization and I always end up signing up to work extra events. Next semester, I’ll be taking over the position of social media director for MAP, so I got to talk with the current social media manager about some questions I had. This was a super fun meeting because the directors brought us cookies, cupcakes, and popcorn to eat during the meeting. MAP usually recruits at the beginning of every semester, so if you want to join a super fun organization, keep your eyes out for that application!

8 p.m. – The MAP meeting is over, so it’s time to walk home! It’s a warm day, so my walk home was really pleasant! I call my mom to talk about my day and my plans for this week since I am visiting home this weekend. 

Chloe and roommate taking a selfie in a dark room

8:15 p.m. – I made it home and it’s time to watch Dancing With the Stars! I have been keeping up with this show every week with my roommate. As soon as I am home from my Monday meeting, she has it ready to go on the tv with snacks waiting (yes, she’s the best roommate ever). Most people dread Mondays since they start a new week, but I love them for MAP and this show alone! 

10:15 p.m. – When the show ends, it’s time to go to bed. I take a quick shower and then take some time on my phone to catch up with social media. After a while, I grab my book and read another chapter. My days are usually pretty busy so reading a chapter in the morning and a chapter at night has made me feel like I have more time to relax! When I finish my chapter I turn off my light and head to bed, excited for what tomorrow will bring!

Chloe Miller, Class of 2024