Example Post: Trouble with Science Education

This week’s blog is going to:

1. Talk about my concerns/struggles with science teaching
2. What I can do to overcome these struggles
3. Side of Botany

My Concerns/Struggles with Science Teaching

1. This idea of teaching to the test
  • worksheets to just cover material
  • making students read chapters just to say it was done
  • not going into the margins because we have to stay on track
  • “there is not enough time to do that”
  • multiple-choice exams 
  • ​quizzes and exams every week or every other week
  • not going outside for activities because you have to finishing covering material for the state test

2. Managing a Science Classroom

• during labs making sure you are available to help all of the groups 
  • there’s one of you and 20+ of them (purpose of answering questions and helping all of the students)
  • if working with strong chemicals or fire, making sure that no one is injured 
  • time constraints

​3. Dealing with controversial topics

• climate change
  • stem cell research
  • GMOs
  • cloning 
  • evolution

​4. Knowledge vs understanding

• having students not just memorize information
  • creating a classroom where students understand the material

​​5. Missing assignments

• what if students are missing lots of assignments…is it on you or on them?
  • do you give them class time to work on it?
  • should you cut back on assignments?
  • how do you handle if a student never turns in work?

​These are concerns/struggles that I think about and wonder how will I address or face these struggles in my future classroom. I think most of these issues stem from a traditional classroom, which is not what I am about. My biggest struggle will be how do I not give into a traditional classroom and make sure that I always try new activities.

Ideas on How to Overcome these Challenges

The following suggestions are ones that fit how I think I will address these concerns/struggles:

1. Worry more about how will I prepare my students to think critically, make data based decisions, make connections, etc. and not focus my classroom around the state exam
  2.  With time and practice I will learn the best way I can manage a science classroom, but that my first couple of years teaching may be tough
  3. Have students talk about controversial activities. If you never talk about them, how will we change anything?
  4. Create an inquiry-based classroom where students explore and make their own connections and we will go into the margins!
  5. Only give assignments that are relevant and not give students any busy work

I think that struggles can only make us better and more effective science educators!

You can also teach students about the various struggles that scientists constantly deal with!

Side of Botany!

This weeks side of botany is food for thought! 

About Sarah

I am an Instructional Designer at Miami University eLearning where I assist instructors with online teaching.
This entry was posted in Misc. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Example Post: Trouble with Science Education

1. “I don’t think eastern conference finals will be a long war, knight’s strength is too strong. The celtics nobody with lebron, they even Owen this level of star all have no, they are really no one can stop the knight.
    lebron james shoes

2. curry 4 says:

Yesterday, the wall on the right side 45 live a miserable life in the three points must win.The shooting location is Owen puts up the location of the many times.Today was asked Owen saw wall dead there is what feeling
    curry 4

3. kyrie 1 says:

Obviously, the right to occupy a team-high 21.6 shots of Michael Owen, but failed to hit as James scores, this let a person feel, Owen has become a “cancer” of the knight.But many fans also feel,
    kyrie 1

4. kobe shoes says:

Knight finally written pledge to fulfill a military order!Owen Jefferson suspected the contradiction, huang zhan anger: don’t win playoff team and the team retired showdown between the more and more intense, will the rockets in just eliminated the spurs tomorrow will come and warriors in the first fight
    kobe shoes

5. adidas ax2 says:

For Jordan and gregg popovich comments James never hit back, but just yesterday in the knight’s basketball stadium set aside a James training video, far look like illusions emerged both Owen, a carefully look just know is James
    adidas ax2

6. Knight finally written pledge to fulfill a military order!Owen Jefferson suspected the contradiction, huang zhan anger: don’t win playoff team and the team retired showdown between the more and more intense, will the rockets in just eliminated the spurs tomorrow will come and warriors in the first fight
    lebron 15 ashes

7. Nike CR7 says:

Nike CR7

8. nike kyrie 3 says:

Because Michael Owen at the side of huang zhan, so his nickname called small report.The earliest Owen left the impression of the world, is probably the flashy passing movements and dazzling breakthroughs, remember in the rookie challenge, he drew down two slipped past knight
    nike kyrie 3

9. According to The Fear of The Sword, The knight’s point guard deron Williams is a fan of MMA (mixed), compared to The basketball game, deron prefer to watch The ultimate fighting championship.Deron Williams recently said in an interview, he retired from the NBA
    nike air presto

10. Carey – Owen about injury of varese, said it happened out how knight players want to play games.”I was about to enter a 5 on 5 game, but after three seconds, varese is injured
    keen uneek sandals

11. calvin klein says:

calvin klein

12. Any other acquisitions on the horizon ?Wong: “We believe that e-retailing is the future of the retail industry because people are becoming more and more comfortable with online and ecommerce and they are going to purchase more and more through this channel.
    Jerseys NFL Wholesale

13. Because Michael Owen at the side of huang zhan, so his nickname called small report.The earliest Owen left the impression of the world, is probably the flashy passing movements and dazzling breakthroughs, remember in the rookie challenge, he drew down two slipped past knight
    lebron soldier 11

14. Knight finally written pledge to fulfill a military order!Owen Jefferson suspected the contradiction, huang zhan anger: don’t win playoff team and the team retired showdown between the more and more intense, will the rockets in just eliminated the spurs tomorrow will come and warriors in the first fight
    yeezy supreme

15. Yesterday, the wall on the right side 45 live a miserable life in the three points must win.The shooting location is Owen puts up the location of the many times.Today was asked Owen saw wall dead there is what feeling
    kyrie irving shoes

16. Ryan is hoping that a reliable set of hands emerges from the platoon of speedster Marquise Goodwin, Greg Salas and sixth-round pick Kolby Listenbee.
    Wholesale Jerseys China

17. The NBA playoffs now for today, have determined the warriors in the western conference and will compete for a spot in the finals quota, knight still don’t know who his opponent was.However, even in the face of the celtics or the wizards, presumably knight will be
    michael jordan shoes

18. nike sb dunk says:

The NBA playoffs now for today, have determined the warriors in the western conference and will compete for a spot in the finals quota, knight still don’t know who his opponent was.However, even in the face of the celtics or the wizards, presumably knight will be
    nike sb dunk

19. yeezy boost says:

Carey – Owen about injury of varese, said it happened out how knight players want to play games.”I was about to enter a 5 on 5 game, but after three seconds, varese is injured
    yeezy boost

20. mtsgynkn says:

Example Post: Trouble with Science Education | EDT 622
    mtsgynkn http://www.gtad28i36z3ylok6j5b4k9d83f9t9899s.org/
    [url=http://www.gtad28i36z3ylok6j5b4k9d83f9t9899s.org/]umtsgynkn[/url]
    amtsgynkn