Employer Spotlight: The David J. Joseph Company

The David J. Joseph Company

Today at the Miami University Center for Career Exploration and Success, we’re happy to spotlight The David J. Joseph Company (DJJ)! DJJ has a well-earned reputation for integrity and innovation in the scrap recycling industry. Today, Shawtay Mallory, Dawn Andreadis, and Susan Broussard talk about the best parts of working at DJJ and why they #HireMiamiOH.

What’s the number one thing you look for in a new team member?
Autonomy, responsibility, innovation and excitement from day one.
Development, advancement and stability for the future.

Willingness and Desire to learn our business and the urge to contribute to the greater good of the team.

What qualities do your coworkers possess that make them enjoyable to work with?
DJJ teammates possess a unique mix of intelligence while also being very down to earth.  This creates an environment where we are constantly innovating and challenging ourselves but working along people that are good humans and enjoyable to work with.

What do you want people interested in working at DJJ to know about the company?
Fun fact: There are lots of Miami alums at DJJ, including the President- Craig Feldman. In fact, 5 of the 6 members of the Executive Management Team are Miami alums! 

How do you describe DJJ’s culture? What makes you excited to work here?
We have a great team environment because our teammates share our core values of Safety first, integrity, respect and excellence in all that we do. I enjoy the relationships that I have with my teammates. I’m grateful that we are able to collaborate on work projects and also build lasting relationships. I truly enjoy working with my teammates.

What kind of career development options are available at DJJ? Specifically for entry-level employees?
We offer all of the traditional benefits (leave time, healthcare, etc.) but also feature some more unique benefits like Employee Monthly Stock Investment Plan with Company Match that allows you to own a piece of your work!
We are “a promote from within company,” so we love to hire college graduates into our entry level roles (Brokerage Representative, Commercial Leadership Program, Operations Leadership Program) and watch their careers grow from there.  We are large enough especially with our Parent Company Nucor, a Fortune 150 company that there are endless opportunities but small enough that nobody is “just a number”. We put in the effort with each new hire to help them succeed.

Why do you enjoy going to work? How does the culture promote that? What about the office (layout, perks, etc.) encourages a “family” culture?
I enjoy going to work because I work with great people that encourage me to put my best effort in everyday while at the same time understanding that I have a young family and to me that comes first.  I have never been made to feel like I had to put my family behind work. We have a beautiful location downtown Cincinnati and other great locations throughout the US.
DJJ encourages healthy living with ongoing wellness challenges through our benefits program, and Community giving is also a big part of who we are.  Our teammates love that they have the ability to get involved in charitable events as much or as little as they want.

Why did you originally choose to work for DJJ?
I didn’t know anything about scrap metal when I interviewed, but I knew I had a great feeling about the people I met and the opportunity to grow with a stable and thriving company.  All these years later I haven’t looked back.

What positions are you currently hiring for?
We are looking for Brokerage Representatives, Commercial Trainees, Operations Trainees and Interns.  These locations are based throughout the US. Find our opportunities in Handshake —https://miamioh.joinhandshake.com/employers/140908

Why do you #HireMiamiOH?
We love hiring Miami students because they embody a lot of our core values.  DJJ has found that Miami students have a great mix of intelligence, coupled with an amazing education that has prepared them for the jump into Corporate America, but we also love the work ethic and personality in the students.  It makes for a great mix and that is why you will find so many alums from Miami have stayed and flourished with DJJ.