Meet Career Champion Paige Pennington (’20)

“My Career Advisor helped me realize that moving to Ohio from California was actually a journey of self-discovery for me.” Meet Paige Pennington (‘20), a Speech Pathology & Audiology major with Disability Studies & Community-Based Leadership minors from Palos Verdes Estates, CA. Her Career Advisor, Michael Turner, gave her the key to marketing herself to employers via that journey of self-discovery. Now, Paige is graduating as one of our Career Champions. 

This year, our Career Advisors and Employer Relations team wanted to recognize students who they’ve seen to be curious and passionate about their future careers as Career Champions. The award acknowledges students’ demonstrated investment in their own career exploration and success. These students, like Paige, take what they learn in advising sessions and networking workshops into the real world. 

“I am an aspiring speech-language pathologist,” Paige explains. “I would like to work in the medical setting; my dream job is to work in a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) with neonates on feeding and swallowing to help with weight gain and nutrition intake. I also hope to get my PhD so that I can become a speech pathology professor one day.” Her Career Advisor, Michael Turner, helped her feel confident as she navigated the graduate admissions process, revised her resume, and crafted her personal statement. As she awaits grad school acceptances, she can feel as calm as possible because of her confidence in the materials being reviewed. 

“Paige worked really hard last semester trying to make sure that she could produce the best application materials that she could for graduate school,” Michael says. Paige first scheduled an appointment where the two reviewed her resume, then moved on to revising her personal statement. Michael continues, “Paige is an exceptional writer with a unique passion for her desired industry. Her passion and commitment to the field was inspiring and helped her share how she will add value to programs she’s interested in and the profession as a whole. I really enjoyed working with Paige and have no doubt that she will get into whatever programs she applies to.”