Career Paths: Deloris Rome Hudson ’71

Deloris Rome Hudson is a retired teacher who spent nearly 40 years in the classroom. A 1971 graduate, she earned her B.S. in Education-Family and Consumer Science. In retirement, she expanded her work to raise awareness of the school to-prison pipeline, defined as policies and practices that can push students out of public schools and into the juvenile and criminal justice systems. With Miami University’s Education, Government, Nonprofit and Human Services Fair set for this week, learn about her Career Path below.

How did you reach your current position?

I taught family and consumer science in Akron, Ohio for 12 years and in Hamilton, Ohio for 25 years. During my career, I served on education boards and executive committees to advocate for educators and the students they serve. These organizations included: the National Education Association (NEA), the Ohio Education Association (OEA), the Southwestern Ohio Education Association (SWOEA), and the Hamilton Classroom Teachers’ Association (HCTA). Currently, I am on the OEA Board of Directors, representing the OEA-Retired division. I have stayed involved with the NEA by continuing to assist in its work to call attention to the school-to-prison pipeline. As a facilitator, I engage with NEA members in my home state of Ohio, and nationwide, about school discipline policies. We want to promote good discipline in schools, not restrictive policies that push students out of the classroom.

How did Miami University set you up for success in your career?  

Miami mirrors society. The experiences I had while attending Miami prepared me for the journey I’ve taken after graduation. With the skills I learned, I felt I could make it anywhere since I made it through Miami.

What is your best piece of career advice for current college students?

For your career, select something you do well and combine that skill with what you love to do. Your career will be of great enjoyment.

Miami University’s Education, Government, Nonprofit and Human Services Fair is Wednesday, March 1 in Millett Hall. K-12 teaching seniors and recent graduates can meet with employers from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. All students are welcome to attend this fair from 2 to 5 p.m.