Career Paths: Zeli Stains ’99

A graphic reading "Learning doesn’t stop when school ends. Be adaptable. Embrace lifelong learning. You will take something away from every experience.' - Zeli Stains '99, Consultant, Agile Leader for Nationwide Financial Software Engineering Services." Pictures Zeli.

Zeli Stains is a Consultant, Agile Leader for Nationwide’s Financial Software Engineering Services. A 1999 graduate who earned her B.S. in Accountancy and Management Information Systems, she has spent her career rising through Nationwide’s ranks. Learn about her Career Path below.

How did you reach your current position?

I began my career at Nationwide as an entry-level software engineer. My desire to be involved in more phases of the software and project development life cycles led me to a lead technical role. After some exploration, I decided to pursue the leadership path that led me to my current role. As an Agile Leader, I lead several technology teams responsible for building and/or enhancing software in support of different products and solutions across Nationwide’s various business units. I also helm innovation and digital experimentation teams using emerging technology and test-and-learn principles to enhance and/or create new solutions for our users/customers.

How did Miami University set you up for success in your career?  

During my time at Miami, I gained a solid foundation through experiential learning and collaboration. I also developed interpersonal, communication, and adaptability skills that prepared me for success in a wide variety of career opportunities.

What is your best piece of career advice for current college students?

Learning doesn’t stop when school ends. Be adaptable. Embrace lifelong learning. You will take something away from every experience. Also, get and stay connected. This is critical for your success.

Learn more about Nationwide and its available opportunities by visiting its Handshake profile. You can connect with company representatives about IT careers at Miami’s Spring Career and Internship Fair on February 15.