VoiceThread allows faculty and students to create presentations with audio, video, images, presentation slides, and many other file types. You can share a presentation and allow viewers to add audio/video-based comments to it, so VoiceThread presentations can be turned into discussion forums or used for more interactive peer review and feedback.
VoiceThread is a web-based application, so the creation of and interaction with presentations occurs completely online. There’s no need to install an application to use VoiceThread, nor will you have to upload your media to a separate hosting site.
What can I do with VoiceThread?
How do I access VoiceThread?
VoiceThread is integrated with Canvas. You’ll add a link to it in the Modules or Assignment area of your course, then you can access your account and start creating VoiceThreads via this link.
How do I use VoiceThread?
Access to VoiceThread is a bit different than some other learning technologies licensed by Miami University. To access your VoiceThread account and use it in one of your classes, you’ll need to first add a link to VoiceThread to your Canvas course.
You can add VoiceThread in a few different ways that will vary depending on how you plan to use it:
- Share a lecture-style presentation you’ve created for students to view: You’ll add a link to the presentation through the External Tools options in a Canvas module.
- Create a link so students can access VoiceThread as a content-creation resource: You’ll add a link to the VoiceThread homepage through the External Tools options in a Canvas module.
- Create an assignment that uses VoiceThread: You’ll create one of 3 different types of assessments through the External Tools option in a Canvas assignment.
Follow these step-by-step instructions for adding VoiceThread to your Canvas course in either a module or an assignment.
How do I add VoiceThread via modules?
If you don’t already have a “Modules” link in your course navigation menu, you’ll want to add it via your course’s Settings options before you add VoiceThread.
- Navigate to the “Modules” area of your course, and find or create the module to which you’ll be adding a VoiceThread link.
- Click the + icon to the right of the module’s title. A pop-up window will open that displays different options for adding content to the module.
- Select External Tool on the “Add” dropdown menu near the top of the window. A list of external tools available to you will be displayed in alphabetical order in the lower half of the window.
- Click VoiceThread; you’ll need to scroll down to find it near the bottom of the list. A second pop-up window, “VoiceThread Setup,” will open. (It may take a second to load.)
- Select one of 4 options for creating a VoiceThread link in your module:
- Course View displays all VoiceThread presentations that have been shared with your course. This is a good option when you want students to find and comment on each other’s work or if you want to create a single gallery with all of your lecture presentations.
- Individual VT displays a single VoiceThread. You can create a new one or select one that you’ve created. This is the best way to add a lecture presentation. (If you select this option, be sure to click the Share with Class button at the bottom side of the window before moving on to Step 6.)
- VT Home displays the VoiceThread homepage. This option is useful if you want to create a simple portal into VoiceThread without directing students to any specific content.
- Assignment Builder allows you to create a graded assignment for students to complete. Instructions and settings options are detailed on VoiceThread’s Support website.
- Enter a name for your VoiceThread link in the “Activity name” textbox, which is displayed once you’ve selected the type of link you want to add.
- Click the Save button. Now, a confirmation button will be displayed in the window.
How do I add VoiceThread via assignments?
You can also add a VoiceThread assignment in the Assignments area of your Canvas course. Here’s how:
- Click the blue + Assignment button at the top-right side of the page.
- Select External Tool as its “Submission Type.”
- Click Find in the External Tools Options section (don’t worry about adding anything in the text box to the left of it), then select VoiceThread
- Select settings options for your VoiceThread assignment as detailed in its Support website.
Also, don’t forget to publish your VoiceThread link after you add it in Modules or Assignments! Like all other content you add to Canvas, VoiceThread links are unpublished by default.