Turnitin is a plagiarism detection service that promotes academic integrity. It can be used to detect plagiarism in any Canvas assignment, whether it is an online, hybrid, or face-to-face course.
How do I use Turnitin?
How do I enable Turnitin for a Canvas assignment?
- Log in to Canvas.
- Select your course.
- Select Assignments from the course navigation.
- Select Edit on the desired assignment.
- Under Plagiarism Review, select Turnitin from the drop-down list. Since Miami exclusively uses Turnitin through Canvas, it will be the only option.
- Select Save.
Note: Turnitin must be enabled before students make submissions to an assignment; it cannot be enabled later.
How do I view Turnitin reports with SpeedGrader?
- Navigate to the assignment page in Canvas.
- Click the SpeedGrader button to open the SpeedGrader.
- Student submissions appear in the SpeedGrader, and at the top right a color-bubble displays a percentage, which indicates the percentage of the submission that matches files in the Turnitin database.
- Click the color-bubble to open the Turnitin Feedback Studio and view the Turnitin originality report.
- Turnitin results appear as a color-bubble in the SpeedGrader.
How do I view Turnitin reports in the Gradebook?
- Navigate to the course gradebook in Canvas by clicking Grades.
- Scroll to the column of the assignment.
- Submissions appear with a color-bubble indicating a Turnitin report is available for the assignment; column shows submissions with Turnitin reports.
- Click the cell containing a student submission. A dialog box will appear with submission details and a color-bubble showing the Turnitin originality score.
How do I log into Turnitin outside of Canvas?
Before logging in, you must create an assignment in Canvas with Turnitin enabled to generate your account.
- Visit Turnitin.com.
- In the upper right, select Log in.
- Select Forgot your password? Click here.
- Enter in your Miami email address as Email Address.
- Enter in your last name as Last Name or Family Name.
- Select Next.
- If you have a secret question in place, it will prompt you to answer. Otherwise, follow the prompts to be emailed a password reset link. Open the email and follow the instructions to create a password for Turnitin.