Camtasia is a robust screen recorder and video editor, available free to Miami University faculty. You can record your screen, add visual effects, transitions, and more.
What can I do with Camtasia?
Where can I access Camtasia?
All Miami faculty have access to a Camtasia license. Follow these instructions to download it to your computer.
For Mac users
- Go to Applications on your Miami University computer.
- Click on the Self-Service app (the icon is the Miami spirit mark).
- Search for Camtasia.
- Click install.
For Windows users
- Open the Start menu.
- In Search Programs and Files, type Software Center.
- Click on Software Center to load the application.
- Select the application you want to install to open the profile page.
- Click install.
How do I use Camtasia?
When should I use Camtasia?
Plan your video—what kind of video do you want to make? This will help determine which application to use. If you want to create a voiceover PowerPoint or basic screencast, check out Kaltura or Screencast-O-Matic. If you want more flexible editing capabilities, or to make your videos more engaging, try Camtasia.
Kaltura is a good choice if you…
- Are new to creating videos
- Need to record your webcam and/or screen
- Are looking to create a video with voiceover and slides
- Only need minimal editing capabilities
- Need to record something quickly
Camtasia is a good choice if you…
- Are more experienced with making videos, or are tech savvy
- Want to record your webcam and/or screen
- Want to use footage you’ve shot on another camera, or phone
- Need more flexible editing options
- Want access to basic animations, effects, or annotations
- Are using a green screen
What are the recommended settings for Camtasia?
There are three basic record settings to be aware of: Canvas Dimensions, Project Settings, and Sharing File Settings.
Canvas Dimensions inform the default resolution of the screen recording.
- Select Camtasia 2020 dropdown.
- Click Preferences.
- Click Project tab.
- The default is 1920×1080. Keep this setting or select higher resolution; never select lower resolution.
Project Settings control the resolution and frame rate of the video you are editing in the timeline. It will be automatically set to 1920×1080 and 30fps (frames per second) before any media is added. However, if the resolution of the first piece of media you bring onto the timeline is different than 1920×1080, the Project Settings will default to that new resolution and frame rate.
- Click on the Edit menu.
- Select Project settings.
- Verify that the Dimensions read “1080p (1920×1080)” and that Frame Rate says “30fps”.
Share File Settings control the resolution and frame rate of the finished video you are exporting from Camtasia. When your video is complete, follow the sharing settings below to export.
How do I export or share a video from Camtasia?
Share Settings control the resolution and frame rate of the finished video you are exporting from Camtasia. When your video is complete, follow these share settings to export.
- Click on the Share menu.
- Select Local File.
- Verify that the file format is set to “Export to MP4” and select Options.
- Verify that Frame Rate is set to “Automatic” and Dimensions is set to “Current”—if they are, the exported video will have the same resolution and frame rate as the Project Settings. Select OK if any changes have been made.
- Enter file name in the “Export As:” field.
- Select a location for the file to save to.
- Click Export.
Why is my video blurry?
Check your Recording Settings. Chances are, they’ve been changed by accident and simply need to be reset to 1920×1080.
Where can I learn more about Camtasia?
For in-depth tutorials on how to use Camtasia, we link to resources from TechSmith below.