Career Paths: Robert Doughty ’16

A graphic reading "'Explore different fields and opportunities while in college. Complete an internship or participate in a summer program to gain different transferable skills.' - Robert Doughty '16, Technical Services for Epic." Pictures Robert.

Robert Doughty works in Technical Services at Epic. A 2016 graduate who earned his B.S. in Mathematics and Statistics and his B.S. in Math Education, he ultimately pivoted into a career that utilizes his minor in Computer Science. Learn about his Career Path below.

How did you reach your current position?

I started at Miami as a double major in Mathematics and Statistics and Math Education. I wanted to be a high school math teacher because I enjoy math and was inspired by my high school math teacher, Mark LaPille. In my first few years, I found I enjoyed the math pieces a lot more than the education pieces. I started to shift my path toward going to graduate school for mathematics to become a professor in mathematics. I was also starting to explore backup options like getting a job when I graduated with my undergraduate degree. To make my math degree more desirable to employers, I started taking computer science classes. I ended up liking these classes so much, I completed a minor in computer science. At the beginning of my senior year, I heard about Epic, a healthcare software company where I could put my technical, problem solving, and teaching skills together to have an impact on healthcare. While I never imagined I’d end up in the healthcare field, I was excited about the impact I could have there. I’ve now been working at Epic for the past six and a half years on MyChart, our patient portal.

How did Miami University set you up for success in your career?  

The Mathematics program at Miami is heavily focused on undergraduates so I was able to complete several research projects. This set me up for success because it allowed me to use my critical thinking and problem-solving skills to solve real-world problems that didn’t necessarily have a correct answer. This is more comparable to what I do in my day-to-day job than the classes I took.

What is your best piece of career advice for current college students?

Explore different fields and opportunities while in college. Complete an internship or participate in a summer program to gain different transferable skills. I started college thinking I wanted to be a math teacher and changed my mind several times. I’m happy where I landed.

Learn more about Epic and its available opportunities by visiting its Handshake profile. You can connect with company representatives like Doughty at Miami’s Spring Career and Internship Fair on February 15.