Checking In: PCC Logan Kocka ’22

A graphic reading "'Peer Career Coaches are uniquely positioned to develop professional skills early and thoroughly. The experience I gained as a PCC has helped me immensely during the job-search process.' - Logan Kocka ’22, Former Student Mocker Interviewer, Graduate Student, University of Notre Dame." Pictures Logan.

Logan Kocka graduated from Miami University with a B.S. in Biomedical Engineering in 2022. During her time in Oxford, she completed minors in Statistical Methods, Computer Science, and Bioinformatics. Heavily involved on campus, she was a member of the University Honors College, an Immersion Group Leader in the CEC Women’s Advisory Committee Mentorship Program, and a Student Mock Interviewer for the Center for Career Exploration and Success. She caught up with Career Center staff ahead of Peer Career Coach recruiting season to share how her experiences set her up for success in her field.

What are you up to now?

I’m currently a graduate student at the University of Notre Dame in the Engineering, Science and Technology Entrepreneurship Excellence Master’s Program (ESTEEM). I work as a Graduate Student Consultant for Avanade, an IT consulting firm, for my Master’s capstone project.

What is your career goal?

My career aspirations have and are still changing with new experiences and exposure. I have consulting job offers from AI and quantum groups at a few firms but haven’t accepted anything yet. Because I’ve always wanted to work with biotech and healthcare, I anticipate moving to a role that deals in scaling and commercializing biotechnologies in development. 

How did working as a Peer Career Coach help set you up for success?

The experience I gained as a Peer Career Coach has helped me immensely during the job-search process. As a Mock Interviewer, I was trained in interview skills and strategies, which I still use today. I also gained confidence from being in an interview setting so frequently. 

I loved being a PCC because the skills we teach our peers have immediate value for new grads or for current students hunting for an internship. They also have lifelong benefits because we will continue to change companies and roles as we grow in our careers. PCCs are uniquely positioned to develop professional skills early and thoroughly.

If you’re a member of Miami University’s class of 2024 or 2025, you can apply to become a Peer Career Coach for the 2023-24 school year. You can apply to be either a Career Assistant or a Mock Interviewer. Please email careercenter@MiamiOH.edu with any questions using the subject line “PEER CAREER COACH POSITION.”