Career Paths: Adam Hill ’07

A graphic reading "'Don’t only define your career path based on salary. Pursue your passion. All being well, a good salary will follow, and you’ll love what you do!' - Adam Hill '07, Associate Professor of Electroacoustics at the University of Derby." Pictures Adam.

Adam Hill is an Associate Professor of Electroacoustics at the University of Derby. A 2007 graduate who earned his B.S.E. in Electrical Engineering, he was a 2013 recipient of the 18 of the Last 9 award. Learn about his Career Path below.

How did you reach your current position?

After studying Electrical Engineering at Miami, I went on to complete my master’s in Acoustics at the University of Edinburgh (Scotland) and my PhD at the University of Essex (England). During this time, I continued to work as a live sound engineer at large live events around Chicago, which was something I’d done since I was 18. My academic and industrial background got me in the door as a lecturer at the University of Derby (England) roughly 10 years ago. The university has given me the freedom to pursue my various teaching and research interests. This has led to ongoing collaborations with the Audio Engineering Society, Institute of Acoustics, World Health Organization, and SMPTE. I’ve also been able to work with some very well-known artists and music festivals.

How did Miami University set you up for success in your career?  

I spent my first year and a half at Miami undecided. During this time, I took most of my general requirements, which allowed me to meet faculty members from many different subject areas. Without exception, they were happy to take the time to chat with me about careers in their respective fields. They all made what they do sound fascinating, which made for a difficult decision. It eventually led me to electrical engineering, which opened the doors necessary to get me to where I am today.

What is your best piece of career advice for current college students?

Don’t only define your career path based on salary. Pursue your passion. All being well, a good salary will follow, and you’ll love what you do!