From an article by Cam Lindquist at 365gay.com
Original article was located at http://www.365gay.com/people/Lindquist/030104lindquist.htm
Sometimes in life, as well as Mathematics, an answer seems to make sense until it is read in full context. Such as:
- Homosexuality is not natural: much like eyeglasses, contact lenses, and pacemakers.
- Heterosexual marriages are valid because they produce children. Infertile couples and old people shouldn’t legally get married because their unions will not yield offspring.
- Obviously homosexual parents will only be able to raise homosexual children because heterosexual parents only raise heterosexual children.
- Heterosexual marriage will become less meaningful if homosexual marriage becomes legal because more than half of all heterosexual marriages currently end in divorce.
- Heterosexual marriage has been around a long time and has not changed, so why change things now? For instance women are still considered property, blacks cannot marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.
- Homosexual marriage should be decided by Congress, not the courts, because the majority-elected legislatures have historically protected the rights of the minorities through segregation and ignoring women’s suffrage.
- Homosexual marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That is why we have only one religion in America.
- Homosexual marriage will encourage people to be homosexual in the same way that hanging around tall people will encourage one to be tall or hanging around Asian people will encourage one to be Asian.
- Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior such as people wanting to marry animals because animals have equal rights to humans and are capable of signing legal contracts.
- Children can never succeed without male and female role models in the home. That is why single parents are forbidden to raise children.
- Same-sex marriage will change the foundation of society. Heterosexual marriage has been around for a long time and our society will not survive adapting to new social norms. This has been historically proven when cars, longer life spans, and space travel were introduced.
- Civil unions providing most of the same benefits as marriage under a different name is better because a “separate but equal” institution has been proven constitutional such as the segregation of African-Americans in the education system.
- Homosexuals are not entitled to the rights a marriage gives them such as joint tax returns, automatic next of kin, and the ability to visit an ill spouse in the hospital like their heterosexual counterparts because they don’t pay the same taxes heterosexuals pay and therefore are not equal under the law.
- Homosexual marriage would perpetuate the promiscuous lifestyle “queer people” lead because anytime a commitment is introduced into a relationship it pushes the two parties toward infidelity as we have seen with heterosexual marriages.
- And finally, Same-Sex Marriage should not be made legal because Thomas Jefferson, when he wrote the Declaration of Independence, did not intend it to include: Homosexuals, African Americans, Asians, Native-Americans, Muslims, Jews, or Women. These groups were internationally excluded when he wrote: “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights. Among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness”