Choreography Inspired by art 

Dance Students embrace For Kepler
Dance Students embrace For Kepler

Written by

Ashley Goos, Visiting Assistant Professor, Dance
Director, Dance Minor
Miami University Department of Theatre
College of Creative Arts

Every other year I get to teach one of my favorite classes of all time, Choreography! My students dance, and think about dance, and talk about dance, and most importantly MAKE dance. This year I added a new layer to the first assignment of the semester. They were tasked to create a solo on themselves inspired by a piece at the Miami University Art Museum that spoke to them. 

After their final showing of the work in class, we had the great pleasure of setting the piece back with its inspiration. My dancers performed their pieces in front of, next to, or (in one instance) on top of what inspired them. They were inspired by line, shape, flow, color, texture, and everything in between. Most of the selected pieces came from the Department of Art Faculty and Alumni exhibition (which is open through Dec. 11 *wink wink*) They interpreted those inspirations into their bodies and what came out was –– well, watch for yourself!

We were also given the green light to play – which is a central tenet of artmaking. We played around inside near our work, and we played outside on “For Kepler” by Mark Di Suvero – that welcomes everyone to Miami’s campus.

Then one by one we made our way around the museum connecting to, taking in, and riffing off of what we saw. It was an incredible afternoon that, rest assured, is now a staple in my syllabus, and a fan favorite among my dancers.

“It was awesome.” said senior Lindsey Crowley, “I felt like I was a part of the museum.”

Director, Dance Minor
Miami University Department of Theatre

Ashley is a dance artist, educator, and somatics practitioner. She holds an MFA in dance performance and choreography from The Florida State University and BA in Theatre from Miami University.