Student Intro: Astrid Cabello

My name is Astrid Cabello and I am spending the spring semester as a Marketing & Communications intern at the Miami University Art Museum (MUAM). I am a fourth-year Marketing and Finance Major with an Art & Architecture History minor and hope to combine my diverse set of interests into my career path post graduation. Beyond MUAM, I am the publisher of UP Magazine, a 100% student-run, lifestyle and fashion publication. I also work as a Career Services intern in the Farmer School of business assisting students with resume reviews and career advice.

My main marketing and communication undertakings will revolve around the capstone exhibition, among many other duties at MUAM, including social media and content planning and programming.  I am delighted to be a new addition to the team, and feel very grateful for the opportunity to contribute to the MUAM’s efforts. 

Last semester, I was fortunate enough to collaborate on the Fall 2019 Art & Architecture History capstone, “Desire, Conflict & Exchange” a current exhibit at the Museum. This exhibition showcases functional and decorative objects that act as gateways into the political, artistic, and cultural intermingling of East Asia and the West in the 19th century. I researched in-depth, a landscape painting by Annette Covington, a Western College Alumni of 1895. Watch for a future post on my research related to this work and my experiences being a part of the exhibition’s curation.

To celebrate the exhibition, there will be an East Asian Symposium, Gallery Talk and Reception on March 16th that is open to the public that runs from 5-8 PM.

Stop in at the Art Museum to see the galleries or to attend one of our events. Our next event will be an Exhibition Talk (Make & Take) Let’s Make Ribbonwork on Wednesday, February 19 at 7 PM. Be sure to follow the Miami University Art Museum on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter to stay updated on all of our special events this semester!