Cisco Webex is a web conferencing application that enables the online delivery of highly interactive e-learning sessions. It is fully integrated with Canvas and supported by Miami University.
What can I do with Webex?
Both you and your students have full access to Webex, so you can use it for any sort of synchronous online meeting.
Where do I access Webex?
You can log in to your Webex account at webex.miamioh.com using your Miami credentials. Also, Webex is integrated with Canvas, so you will find a Cisco Webex link when you scroll to the bottom of your course’s sidebar menu.
In addition, Webex provides apps for Apple and Android mobile devices, so you and your students can attend class sessions and join meetings while you’re on the go.
How do I use Webex?
To get started with using Webex, you’ll need to authorize its integration with your Canvas account, then enable features and tools that you’d like to use in each of your courses.
How do I authorize Canvas access for Webex?
- Click the Cisco Webex link in your course sidebar menu. Webex’s Setup page will be displayed.
- Scroll down to the “Authorize with LMS” section, then click the blue Authorize button. A confirmation window will open.
- Click the blue Authorize button at the bottom of the confirmation window. The window will close, and you’ll return to the Webex Setup page.
- Scroll back down to the “Authorize with LMS” section again to verify that your authorization was successful. The button should now be gray, and its text should have changed to Authorized.
How do I enable Webex features in Canvas?
Webex provides several useful features within Canvas:
- Classroom Collaboration: Create collaboration teams and spaces related to specific topics or projects. This is a great feature to use if your students are working on group projects.
- Virtual Meetings: Schedule recurring class sessions or a one-time meeting with students. We recommend that you select this feature in every course so you can schedule Webex meetings for your class within Canvas as you need them.
- Office Hours: Schedule and host office hours within Webex using this feature, which provides you with a calendar for setting dates and times.
You can learn more about all of these options and how to use them on the Cisco Webex Education Connector for Teachers page on Cisco Webex’s Help Center website.
Making any of Webex’s three features visible in Canvas is a simple, two-step process:
- Select the checkboxes next to the features you plan to use in the “Choose your Features” section of the Cisco Webex Setup page.
- Click the blue Apply button.
Note: Once you’ve enabled a Webex feature, a tab for it will appear in its Settings menu.
Ready for your first Webex meeting with students? Check out these guides on Webex’s Help Center website:
- Choose Your Audio and Video Settings Before You Join a Webex Meeting
- Record a Webex Meeting
- Share Content or Your Screen During a Webex Meeting
Wondering if your internet connection is up to the challenge of running Webex from your living room? There’s a tool for that!
Check the Webex Global Status dashboard for up-to-date information about the state of Webex services.
Where can I learn more about Webex?
Webex provides a wealth of online information that you can consult if you want to learn more about its features.